Saturday, November 10, 2007

Snowy Evening Christmas Decorating Theme




I have done a variety of decorating themes for Christmas in our churches, but my all time favorite theme has to be based on the Robert Frost Poem, “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening.” I know it’s not necessarily based on a Bible theme, but there is something about this poem that speaks of better days…of family and faith. But I love it and it has inspired some beautiful Christmases.

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

The Sanctuary
Some folks have issues with Christmas trees in the sanctuary. I am not one of those folks. I don’t want Santa Clause perched up on the stage, but we have had some really lovely trees that didn’t in anyway suggest the secular side of Christmas. With my Snowy Evening Theme I used my forest of small alpine trees…which we didn’t use as Christmas Trees but as an outdoor scene. I got them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels one year using a 50% off coupon I had printed off line. I got bags and bags of pillow fluff, twinkle lights, yards of pine tree garland, and several packages of snowflake ornaments. I lined the baptistery and basically every available edge with first the pine garland (with white twinkle lights woven through), them piles of pillow fluff and a few snowflakes here and there. I also had some sparkly snow glitter I spread around (though be prepared for a mess when you take it down). I set up the trees in a forest-like setting and covered the area around them with more pillow fluff, snowflakes and glitter. I also added bits of fluff to the branches of the trees. Absolutely gorgeous. I was able to utilize the decorations with my Kid’s Christmas Program too. On the communion table I placed the Nativity Scene. I surrounded it with pillow fluff, white votives and more sparkly. Plus I tucked in a few pine tree picks for some color. I created more snowy ledges throughout the sanctuary It was like walking into a Winter Wonderland. I have done this several years at different churches because it is always such a big hit…and fairly inexpensive to do.





The Fellowship Hall and Elsewhere
I have often carried my Snowy Evening Theme into the fellowship hall and used it for the Church Christmas Party/Dinner or whatever. One of my favorite things to do at Christmas is to use wrapping paper as table covering. It is pretty much the same width across as the church tables everybody has. With the Snowy Evening Theme I found either fairly woodsy paper (pine cones, trees) or some snowflake patterned paper…depending on my mood and the availability of the paper. Down the center of the tables I put my mirrored tiles (staggered) and more pillow fluff. On the mirrored tiles we put clear glass candle holders with white votives and pine tree picks. We also placed snowflakes throughout the pillow fluff. One year instead of snowflakes I used stars. I found some shiny star boxes at a party store (you can get them in any color….gold and silver would be pretty for Christmas) and created whole tablescapes with pillow fluff, these star boxes, some star cutouts also found at the party store and lots of little white votives. You could even insert an angel or two.
For a focal point you could create another wooded forest or make a special scene with a park bench, an old fashioned street lamp and more pillow fluff. It would be really special to find an old sleigh (even a few kid’s sleds).


Here is a link for more snowy evening decorating ideas:
If you are doing the whole snowy evening thing....considering giving out snowflakes (or stars) this year. Oriental Trading has some really pretty and inexpensive options.
I think I’ve covered it. I am going to attempt to add a few more themes later to my blog.. I have several that we have used and really like.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should post some pictures, it sounds beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I will create this theme in our sanctuary. Could use some more ideas if you have more. BTW how much $$ did you spend? I have a $500 budget.

Rebekah Teague said...

I can't remember the exact totals I spent on this particular theme. I think $500 sounds like enough to get it done. The majority of your cost will be for the trees and garland. Right now Hobby Lobby has their Alpine Christmas trees 1/2 off...which are also pre-lit (between $49.00-$24.00 in varying sizes) I had a set of alpine trees personally and just purchased a few more to create my "forest." You could also use inexpensive 3-4ft. trees. I also used my leftover bulbs and snowflakes I got at the dollar store to lay in the snow for extra sparkle. There is not any need to waste any of your budget on something you can find easily at the Dollar Store! Also, be sure to stay away from Angel Hair as the snow. It is actually glass and not good for little curious hands.

Ms. Peggy said...

I have created a winter wonderland for several occasions, of course, Christmas and winter weddings are my favorites. I pulled leaves off of old ficus trees (they pull off very easily) and spray painted them white. Then you can add what decorations that you want to add. Clear lights and glittery items are beautiful on the trees. Add the cotton snow underneath for added beauty. Simple and cheap.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I have been doing more rustic and earthy decorating to go along with a rustic and earthy stable and nativity. I am ready for something different and I love snow and white lights and trees. Maybe Isaiah 1:18 will work..."come now and let us reason together though your sins be as scarlet they shall be white as snow, though they are red as crimson they shall be like wool..." We have the purpose of Jesus' birth, the white wool of the precious Lamb of God and all that white snow. Maybe just a touch of red here and there to remind us of why He came...thanks for a great website and great inspiration-this idea will be presented this week to the worship committee.

dobbinsmommy said...

Love, love this picture. I posted it on my page with Frost's poem " Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening."